Monday, February 20, 2017

Are you aware of the Holy Spirit's Presence?



The prophet Joel gave us a major message about a future time regarding God’s restoration plan through his Son: ¨And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on ALL people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. Even on my servants, both men and women I will pour out my Spirit in those days.¨ Joel 2:28-29



Joel was announcing to the Israelites, in effect a day is coming when God is going to make it possible for all of humanity to interact with Him and have an intimate relationship with Him by His Spirit.  I’m sure this message came as a complete shock to the Israelites when they heard these words from Joel.  Culturally, they had only experienced the Spirit of God moving upon a few people and only those people communed with Him.  I can imagine they thought Joel was exaggerating when He said, "God would pour out His Spirit upon all people."

When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.  Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting.  They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them.  All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.  Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.  When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.  Utterly amazed, they asked: “Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans.  Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language?  –we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!  Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another. “What does this mean?  Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say.  These men are not drunk, as you suppose.  It’s only nine in the morning! No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: ‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy.’ Acts 2:1-8, 11b-12, 14-18 

Ladies-God fulfilled this prophetic promise and it is recorded for our knowledge!  This event happened over 2000 years ago just 50 days after Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection.  Peter could explain to the crowd what was happening because Jesus had promised him and the other disciples that He would not leave them alone. 

And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, to be with you forever. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive Him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize Him. But you know Him, because He lives with you now and later will be in you. John 14:16-17

As a follower of Christ I have read all of these scriptures many times.  Although I knew these words, I still wasn’t aware of the Holy Spirit’s literal presence in me.  I didn’t quite grasp that God is with us, now. I’ve often only imagined God being light years away and I needed a spacecraft in order to be where He is.  The Lord challenged my perspective and opened up my understanding in this area.

Have any of you ever had an imaginary friend? If you have, then you know that person was very present with you.  You made space for them in your world and you would have intimate moments communing with them.  This is exactly the kind of perspective God wants us to have about His presence.  Obviously, those who do not believe that God is will never understand why you communicate and make room in your world for Him.  This would all be foolish to them just like the notion of an imaginary friend. 
 
But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship Him that way. For God is Spirit, and His worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.  John 4:23-24

Ladies-I pray you are aware of His presence in you and you have made room for Him in your world.

Lord-thank you for opening our understanding in this area about Your presence.  Thank You for sending Your Holy Spirit to be with us now and forever.  Thank You for being in us.  We gladly worship You and make room for You in our world, in Jesus name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment