Friday, February 10, 2017

Has God asked you to do a hard thing?

Marry a Prostitute

When the Lord first began speaking to Israel through Hosea, he said to him, “Go and marry a prostituteHosea 1:2a
So Hosea married Gomer, the daughter of DiblaimHosea 1:3a

How dare God ask Hosea to marry a prostitute?   What lesson can He possibly be teaching when He commands him to do a seemingly immoral act?  

Has God asked you to do a hard thing? What lesson is he teaching you?  Are you willing to answer the call like Hosea?

As we keep reading in the book of Hosea, we find that Hosea is obedient to God’s instructions and he marries Gomer and they start a family.  Unfortunate for Hosea, Gomer isn’t faithful to him and she has an affair.  God again gives Hosea instructions that are very hard to accept.

Then the Lord said to me, “Go show your love to your wife again, though she is loved by another man and is an adulteress. Love her as the Lord loves the Israelites, though they turn to other gods and love the sacred raisin cakes.” Hosea 3:1

Has God asked you to forgive and restore a broken relationship?  Has God called you to love the way He loves? 

Ladies-when my coach and I were in the middle of planning our wedding I had cold feet. I knew God was calling me into ministry and when I considered where my husband was with the Lord I was not confident that our relationship would work.  I remember praying and asking God what I should do.  His instructions to me were very similar to His instructions to Hosea: “I have chosen him for you, love Him the way I love Him, beyond any judgement you have towards him.”

Hosea’s relationship was all out in the open for the public to see. Everyone knew Gomer was a prostitute and everyone knew that Gomer was having affairs.  God purposely used what was happening in Hosea’s life as a figurative picture for His people to see His undying love for them. I believe Hosea willingly followed God’s instructions because He knew God would somehow make it all work out for him.
 
I willingly followed God’s instructions too and my coach and I have been married for almost 18 years. I wouldn’t be ministering to Coaches’ Wives had God not decided I should marry a coach.

And we know that in ALL THINGS God works for the GOOD of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Whatever you are facing, God wants you to know He will make it work out for your good.  Don’t be dismayed about this part in your story, whatever it is He will use it for His Glory and it will serve a great purpose for you and for anyone with public knowledge about your circumstances. I pray you will be obedient in this hard thing and I pray you can forgive the unthinkable thing just like Hosea.

Father, I pray Your daughters will step out in faith and trust You with the hard decisions You call us to make.  I pray we can walk in forgiveness and release those that have trespassed against us.  Lord, thank You for Your word.  Thank You for Hosea’s example in his faithfulness towards You and thank You for your faithfulness towards us, in Jesus name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment