Tuesday, February 28, 2017

The Power of Agreement

Can two walk together unless they have agreed to do so? Amos 3:3

When I ponder this question my mind immediately thinks of marriage.  It is assumed that two people coming together in a marriage covenant have agreed to walk together until death do them part. But is this really the level of commitment we see in marriages in our society? 

Recently, I saw a statistic that blew my mind about the divorce rate in our country based on different professions. 82% of football coaches’ marriages end in divorce. This was uncomfortable to read as a football wife. 

Why is divorce so prevalent in this profession?  
    
A few years back, I thought my marriage would be one of these statistics. My coach and I were not on the same page and the pressures from his career began to take a toll on our marriage.  Because I’m a woman of faith it was natural for me to pray about our circumstances. I went to the Lord and He asked me a strange question, “Why is the marriage covenant sealed with a wedding band as the covenant symbol?” Of course, I didn’t know how to respond to this question, hence, God gave me the answer, “Your marriage isn’t two points on a line; he’s traveling in one direction and you are moving in the opposite direction.  Your marriage is on a circle, just as the covenant symbol for marriage. Although you may be at two different places on the circle, I am holding the circle together. My people get a divorce because they have decided they don’t want me to hold the circle anymore. Is there anything too hard for Me to fix?” WOW!!! After hearing these words from the Lord I knew I needed to surrender my marriage to Him again. My confidence was no longer in whether or not I could fix my marriage, I believed God would fix my marriage.

Jesus Teaches the Higher Law of Marriage:
Some Pharisees came and tested Him by asking, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?" "What did Moses command you? He replied. They said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and send her away." "It was because your hearts were hard that Moses wrote you this law," Jesus replied. "But at the beginning of creation God made them male and female.' For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and will be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God was joined together, let no one separate." Mark 10:2-9
 
Ladies-I am convinced it is impossible for two people to walk together for a lifetime without God holding the relationship together. I encourage you to completely surrender your marriage to the Lord and open your heart to hearing His instructions as He leads you out of any ruts.  Make a commitment to walk with God, agreeing with His word and place your faith in Him. He is the only one that can bring two hearts together as one.

Those that put their faith in the Lord do not expect to fail because there is no failure in Him.

Father, thank You for giving each one of us our spouse.  Thank You for bringing our hearts together and making us one.  Lord I pray these ladies submit their marriages to You and have the faith to believe You can fix any marital problems they may have, in Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment