Thursday, January 12, 2017

Get comfortable in that place

Get comfortable in that place

Ladies-I recently attended the American Football Coaches’ Wives Association Convention in Nashville, Tn.  We had awesome sessions, wonderful fellowship, great food and fun! My one take away that I want to share with you came from the AFCA Executive Director’s Wife.  She encouraged us with these words, “Get comfortable in the city where you are currently living.” She went on to share with us that the job your husband currently has is his best job. 

Our word for this week comes from the next prophet in our prophetic series, Jeremiah.  As I began to study Jeremiah and seek the Lord on what to share with you from this book, I was led to a letter Jeremiah wrote to the people of Israel while they were in exile.  I think you will see a parallel between what God had Jeremiah to say and what the Executive Director’s wife shared with us at the convention.

Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon. Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat the produce. Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf; for in its welfare you will have welfare. For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not calamity to give you a future and a hope.  Jeremiah 29:4-5,7,11

How many of you are treating your husband’s current job like it is his best job?  How many of you have prayed for the welfare of your husband’s current school and city? How many of you pray for the head coach, the players, assistant coaches and the administrators?

I get it! You may not be at the best place according to your standards.  It may be a dump or a pit in your mind.  But you are there and your husband has a coaching job, doing what God called him to do.  

I was at the convention for 3 days and my husband didn’t attend.  He warned me before I went that I would see eyes of desperation, eyes of pride and eyes of desire.  These are all coaches’ eyes from various situations.  The eyes of desperation are the coaches who are just trying to get on with anyone anywhere.  The eyes of pride are the coaches that have made it to what they believe is the promise land at the pinnacle job.  The eyes of desire are the coaches that currently have a job, but they aren’t satisfied with their situation. 

Ladies-the sports world is so fickle!  We have seen men get fired who's records were: 10-2, 9-3, bowl eligible and conference champions.  If the carousel didn’t stop at your house, give praise! If your husband has been at the same place for a number of years, give praise! If your husband continues to get new opportunities after another, give praise!  Or, if you are like my family and you have not got the call yet, give praise!  

Jeremiah was letting the people of Israel know that God wasn’t going to deliver them from exile until the time of completion was fulfilled.  For thus says the Lord, “When the seventy years (only God knows this number) have been completed for Babylon, I will visit you and fulfill My good word to you…” Jeremiah 29:10 

The length of time you stay in any situation is determined by what God wants to grow in you.  

One other wife I met at the convention shared with me how her husband had been away from football for 8 years and all of a sudden received a call to coach. He has had door after door opened for him since that day.  This encouraged my heart.  

Ladies-when the time of completion is fulfilled, at whatever school you find yourself, according to the Lord’s schedule, then you will move on.  If today is currently your time of completion and you are waiting for your next assignment, be encouraged.  We serve a sovereign God who controls the outcomes. 
 
Let me remind you, “For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11

Father may our hearts be encouraged by Your sovereignty.  May we trust You with the next move.  May we pray for the welfare of our current school, staff, administrators and city.  May we look to You the author and finisher of our faith, in Jesus name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment