Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Prepared for Battle

Prepared for Battle

Our word for today comes from the book of Exodus. 

 Before we can talk about the book of Joshua I think it is important that you know who Joshua is and where we first meet him in the Bible.

Moses commanded Joshua, “Choose some men to go out and fight the army of Amalek for us. Tomorrow, I will stand at the top of the hill, holding the staff of God in my hand.” So Joshua did what Moses had commanded and fought the army of Amalek. As long as Moses held up the staff in his hand, the Israelites had the advantage. Exodus 17: 8b-11
As a result, Joshua overwhelmed the army of Amalek in battle. After the victory, the Lord instructed Moses, “Write this down on a scroll as a permanent reminder, and read it aloud to Joshua: I will erase the memory of Amalek from under the heaven.” Exodus 17: 13-14

Joshua is a young man only a few years pass 20 years old and he has just been told by the leader to choose some men, go into the battlefield, fight the enemy Amalek and God is going to give you the victory. (This sounds to me like a new head coach putting his staff together)

In our college coaching circles every year it seems the head coaches get younger. If you follow college athletics at all then you probably have noticed a change in leadership among coaches who’ve been at certain jobs or conferences for many years. The youngest coach today is 34 years old according to BleacherReport.com.

Wow, 34 he isn’t much older than Joshua. Ladies-I’m not sure what this means for our sports world but I know God is speaking to us.

As we turn the page on Moses’ life and examine what leadership looks like with another generation let’s pause and think about all that Moses has taught Joshua and how God has prepared Joshua for his new leadership role. Let’s go back to our key verses:
1. Joshua was tested by God through obedience (will you listen to the leader)
2. Joshua was promoted to a leader and commanded to go into battle by God
3. Joshua was encouraged by Moses and assured by Moses that God would be with him
4. Joshua was told to remember everything that happened and how God gave him the victory
5. Moses recorded the victories for Joshua so he wouldn’t forget what God did

What can we learn from this leadership training as coaches’ wives preparing the next generation? Candace and I were talking this morning and I encouraged her to keep a journal for her kids. I’m keeping one too. I like to think of these journals as "Coaches’ Kids Battlefield Playbooks". They are meant to help them remember all of the victories God is giving them personally as they grow in their faith in Him. We will give these journals to our kids when they assume their leadership roles.

By the way, when I first became a coach’s wife I wished someone had reached out to me and handed me the “Coaches’ Wives One on One Playbook.”

Ladies-we are raising the next generation of coaches’ and coaches’ wives. God is depending on us to prepare them for battle. Let’s make sure they are ready to lead.

Father, thank you for getting our attention in this area helping us to realize we are preparing the next generation to take a stand in the sports world for You. Thank You for helping my sisters see that they have an opportunity to change our world through their children. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment