Friday, September 30, 2016

Deborah Judges for the Lord

Deborah Judges for the Lord

Deborah, a Prophetess, the Wife of Lappidoth, was leading Israel at that time when the Israelites were lead by judges. She held court under the Palm of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in the hill country of Ephraim, and the Israelites came to her to have their disputes decided. She sent for Barak son of Abinoam from Kadesh in Naphtali and said to him, “The Lord the God of Israel, commands you: ‘Go take with you ten thousand men of Naphtali and Zebulun and lead the way to Mount Tabor. I will lure Sisera, the commander of Jabin’s army, with his chariots and his troops to the Kishon River and give him into your hands.” Barak said to her, “If you go with me, I will go; but if you don’t go with me, I won’t go.” “Very well,” Deborah said. I will go with you. But because of the way you are going about this, the honor will not be yours, for the Lord will hand Sisera over to a WOMAN.” Judges 4:4-9a

Ladies-The book of Judges introduces Deborah as a Prophetess, a Wife, and a Judge. No other woman in the Bible is described by such titles.

Deborah had a Calling (Prophetess)-only a handful of women in the Old Testament were called to this lofty position. Deborah discerned and declared the mind of God to His people. She ministered as a mediator between God and His people. And, she poured out His wisdom, knowledge, and instruction when the people came to her for help.

Deborah is a Wife-Deborah’s training ground for her leadership began in her home where she served as a wife. We can assume that Deborah followed God’s Word and followed His guidelines for how to serve her husband. I believe she understood her role and function as a wife. I also believe she knew why God created woman and gave her to man.  I'm convinced she was aware of what God told Adam in the beginning, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." Genesis 2:18

Deborah is a Leader-Deborah not only served in her home, but also as one of God’s judges over His people. Her wise leadership extended beyond her home, “the palm tree of Deborah” was her marketplace influence and ministry platform.

Deborah is a Woman of Faith and a Warrior- Although others wavered including the warrior Barak- Deborah’s faith in God’s sure victory over His enemies did not flounder, even when the odds were greatly against Israel. She went into battle with Barak and she knew God would give them the victory!

Deborah Sang!-(Judges 5) Inspired by God and speaking from a heart of gratitude, Deborah sang! She praised God for His triumphant victory over their enemy.

Wow!!! What a remarkable woman!

Ladies-We are remarkable women too! God has gifted each one of us. He has given us great favor and His face shines upon us. (Numbers 6:25) In my last post, "What do you want your servants to do?" I spoke about our great influence. Have you spent time with God asking Him how you can serve? We are called by Him to lofty positions, just like Deborah.

Everything I’m sharing with you in this community relates in some way to my own personal walk with God. My heart attitude and commitment to Him is what inspired me to start this group. It is one of the ways I get to walk out my calling.

I believe the title we all share, “Coach’s Wife”, gives us an extraordinary platform.

Now as I consider the day in and day out battles we have to endure in this role, I think it makes us phenomenal women. We have to possess mental toughness and even physical energy to run our homes. We have to wear “Teflon Coated Armor”and be warriors just like Deborah-confident that God goes before us on the battlefields of stadiums as we sit listening to badgering fans, or even when we read newspapers, and watch the evening news that sometimes speak horrible commentary against our spouses’.

I don’t know about you, but I need to walk as close to God as I can just to endure my days. I need Him to show me how to live out my calling, be a great wife, leader and mother to my children. I need His word because it is profitable to me. I imagine Deborah realized she needed Him too and it is why He chose to use her in such an extraordinary way.

Father, thank You for Deborah’s example to us. We too are called by You, we are wives, we are mothers, we are market place leaders and we are community leaders. Father, I know You are guiding us, we surrender the influence and noteriety we have to You, in Jesus’ Name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment